Thursday, September 22, 2005

background stuff

i called my cousin today around 12 PM, just to check up on him and see how he is doing... turns out he is getting everything ready to evacuate Houston. I thought he was overreacting, but then i turned on the news.

houston mayor bill white went about explaining how "voluntary evacuation should begin". this is where it hit me. the mayor'ss rhetoric was incredibly dodgy. the last thing he wanted to do was cause panic within houston. after all, we are the fourth largest city in the nation. if he had called out for a mandatory evacuation, things would be crazier than they already are!

this is when my roomate calls and tells me that his parents are headed to austin and are going to come in by plane tomorrow. i didnt have much of an idea on what was happening, but i did know at this point, that i should convince my family to leave for austin.

to be honest, i am as successful as a UPN sitcom when it comes to persuading people. my parents didnt see a threat with this hurricane, and they just went about their business. ultimately, the day went on and no one was planning on leaving, so i decided to take a nap. around 7pm, Ryan (my roomate) calls me up and tells me that the hurricane has turned into a category 5 one. I couldnt believe it, and decided to go onto CNN.com. where the headlines stated
"breaking news, hurricane rita is history's third most intense"

also, the good folks at CNN deployed the trusty ol' Anderson Cooper into Galveston. and you know when Cooper is there, SHIT IS GONNA HAPPEN. and that was when i got a call from my dad..

"bassam, anderson cooper was on television. we're all coming to Austin insha'Allah"





insha'Allah

0 Comments:

<< Home