Sunday, January 28, 2007

Trying to make sense

[bismillah]



it's late right now. the other day we had our welcome back halaqa and alhamdullilah, everything went very well.



but for some reason throughout the event and even afterwards there was something that I felt was missing. But then it hit me this morning when I woke up.



I knew that there were more than 150 people that showed up for the halaqa, but I wonder how many of them will come back to the MSA event. I wonder if it's even possible for us to always hope for such a turnout. If this could be the standard turnout for each halaqa.



But why bassam? Why would you want such a turnout?



good question bassam. I sincerely believe that with more people it's possible to reach more people and in turn change more attitudes. We need to start a movement. We need to work to further define our American Muslim culture. I am tired of all of us sitting around talking about which celebrity they look like or the latest episode of Lost. There is so much that needs to be done, and I wonder if any of the people see the problem at hand.



Everyone just sits back and is numb to the social stigma that Muslims have.



To be honest, I never realized we lived in a white privileged society - until I stepped into Student Government. Nobody there cared about me, who I was, or what any of my practices are. Everyone just smiles, nods, and moves on with their business. The only one that will care about the issues that face Muslims are Muslims. We need to move forward as a community and realize where we are right now.



There is so much we can do, yet we all just sit back and criticize how the MSA sucks or how this one brother is giving a hard time or how this sister doesn't wear hijab...



__



None of the above probably makes any sense - I should probably just continue doing what I do and shut up.



but it's important for me to come back and assess myself. to see what I'm doing, where I'm going with these initiatives and how effective we are.



__



okay, I do think too much. I really need to calm down but I guess it's hard to.



salaamtak

bassam













powered by performancing firefox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home